Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Thursday, October 22, 2009

To Eat...Or Not to Eat

Bad ingredients are everywhere; they are inescapable.

Being raised in a family with a stay-at-home-mom, where everything was made from scratch, gave me an understanding of the preservatives and ingredients that I wanted to avoid when out cooking & shopping on my own.
Easier said than done.

I work 40 hours a week, cook, clean, workout, do laundry, and somewhere in there have to find time to worry about the ingredients on my ketchup label. Am I crazy? Paranoid? Or just trying to do the best I can for my little family.

 Here are the things I was taught (and have researched myself!) to avoid:
• Hydrogenated or Partially-Hydrogenated Oils (trans-fats)
• High Fructose Corn Syrup
• Monosodium Glutamate (MSG)
• Excessive dyes/food coloring
• Aspartame

And if I haven’t board you already, keep reading and I will help explain why (with a condensed version).

Hydrogenated Oils –
C
ommonly Found in:
Pastries, ice cream, cookies, peanut butter, margarine or other butter substitutes, premade foods, microwave popcorn, doughnuts, candy, coffee creamers (yes, those ones in all the wonderful flavors), and many other things.

Hydrogenated oil is oil that has been processed into a substance that our body isn’t use to digesting, and over time can cause our arteries to become rigid or blocked. It has also been found to slow down your metabolism, thus helping you gain more wait. It aids is high cholesterol, blood clots, and other serious side effects.

http://www.naturalnews.com/024694_food_hydrogenated_oils_health.html

http://www.fitnessmantra.info/2006/05/22/hydrogenated-oils-the-hidden-killer/

MSG –
Commonly Found in:
Condensed soups (cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, etc), flavored chips, sausage, gravy, and salad dressings (especially Ranch)

 MSG tricks your mind into thinking it’s still hungry when it’s not, and makes you think that food tastes better than it really does. It has various side effects, including headaches and migraines, which myself and various members of my family have dealt with.

http://nikas-culinaria.com/2007/02/21/monosodium-glutamate-bad-for-your-brain-your-figure-and-your-health/

http://www.msgtruth.org/

Aspartame (and other artificial sweeteners) –
Commonly Found in:
Diet soda and other sugarless drinks, sugar free gum, diet foods, things listed as “calorie free”

Aspartame and other artificial sweeteners have been found to cause heath issues such as memory loss, headaches, seizures, and obesity, and has almost 100 possible side effects including those that mimic more serious illnesses like Meniere’s Disease, Alzheimer’s Disease, ALS, Epilepsy, Multiple Sclerosis, and many others.

http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html
 
http://www.lovethetruth.com/truth_about_aspartame.htm

High Fructose Corn Syrup -
Commonly found in:
Ketchup, Soda, Jam, Juice, Bread, Cereals, Candy, and many everyday foods

The addition of High Fructose Corn Syrup in all our foods caused a rise diabetes and has also been found to release enzymes straight to the liver causing it to store fat. Newer research has shown that certain products containing HFCS also contain amounts of mercury, which come with its own set of problems.

http://www.accidentalhedonist.com/index.php/2005/06/09/foods_and_products_containing_high_fruct

http://www.noweightgaincookbooks.com/worse_than_sugar.htm

http://smallnotebook.org/2009/02/03/mercury-in-high-fructose-corn-syrup-what-theyre-just-now-telling-us/

http://www.highfructosecornsyrup.org/

Food Coloring / Dyes -
Commonly Found in:
Jello, Kool-Aid, Candy

There has been scientifically proven to have negative effect particularly on children, and has been linked to the significant rise in ADD, ADHD, and autism. It has times been linked to thyroid tumors as well.

http://bodhimed.com/bodhimed/bodhiblog/crusade-against-food-coloring-unveiled.html

http://www.i-sis.org.uk/FSAadditives.php

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
http://simplemom.net/watch-out-for-these-health-busters/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

There are plenty of articles available online for further research.

What does everybody think? 
Do you avoid it?
Don't think about it?
Make certain things from scratch because it's healthier?

2 comments:

Callie said...

I am kind of bad on nutrition in some ways - I guess I just don't think about it too much, but I try not to have too much junk food and eat more fruit and vegetables instead. I'm trying to avoid simple sugars and trans-fat right now, because they affect fertility. But I don't pay too much attention to MSG, and I like my diet pop - so yeah, I'm not always the healthiest person in the world. *grin*

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

LOL, seriously? I was raised the same way!! To this day I do my best to avoid MSG & Aspartame. I'm not overboard--I do enjoy some chips from time to time, but I try not to make a habit of it. But aspartame...I can't stand it. I try to go for the healthy choice cans of soup, etc.