Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Winner Dinners

Do you ever get into a cooking rut?
Same dishes week after week?

We've definitely been in need of a dinner-makeover at my house during the past couple months.  

So off I went to the library and came home with a stack of what I had hoped to be inspiration.


Yes, as you can tell, these were pretty much quick & easy cookbooks. I still have not mastered the art of working full-time, staying on top of all the laundry and housework, AND having a wonderful full-course meal on the table by 6:00 PM. 

I tried it for awhile when we first got married, but I never got out of the kitchen until 8:30 or 9 PM, and that put me on the verge of going crazy. What I've realized though is that pre-planning is half the battle.  If I know ahead of time what I'm going to make for dinner, than I can have the meat already thawed out and proper ingredients on hand so I don't have to make last-minute dashes to the store when i realize mid-recipe that I'm short on tomatoes, beans or broth. 

"Express Lane Meals" by Rachael Ray was the biggest disappointment to me.  I've perused several of her cookbooks and I don't think I've ever actually tried any of her recipe.  They all have really strange ingredients, and don't seem economical or appetizing.  Skip that.

I enjoyed the "Hungry Girl" cookbooks and made a few good things from those.  I like "real" ingredients though (not liquid egg substitute and stuff like that), so I used her recipes as a guideline and just tweaked whatever I made. 


I like tweaking. 
T-w-e-a-k-i-n-g. 
Tweaking.

Ahem.


Then there is always the trusty Internet, filled with creative recipe, absolute disasters, and some real winners!  Some of of my current favorites are:


Each of these recipes I have altered to suit our personal tastes.  More or less sauce, rice noddles instead of pasta, differently seasoned meat, etc.  I use the recipes like a canvas and take my own set of colors to spice it up!  Cooking is often my outlet for creativity these days. 

Have you tried anything new lately?

Happy Cooking ~

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel like I'm always in a rut!! ;) The crockpot is your best friend though.. when I was working I hated coming home and having to cook. Plus I'm 30 minutes from town. Anyway, I figured it was worth getting up a little earlier in the morning, and throwing something in there. And coming home to a hot meal!

Meg said...

I've been in a rut lately - but my husband keeps request the same things. I tried Tortilla Soup for the first time last week and he LOVED it. It was good, but still needs a little more tweaking. ;)