Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Pecan Roll Goodness



Friday 3:30 PM
I find a recipe for gooey pecan rolls that I have to try. I text hubby and ask him to take a loaf of frozen bread dough out of the freezer so I can make them for breakfast Saturday morning.


Saturday 8:00 AM
I roll out of bed knowing that those homemade pecan rolls are only about an hour away. Time to get to work!




This is the view from my kitchen window.  Snow is falling heavy and the roads look slick. There are drivers going by, headed who-knows-where, while we are tucked cozily into the confines of our happy little home. I am craving some comfort food and a hot cup of coffee.  This seems like a perfect way to spend a lazy Saturday morning with my husband.  Bring it on.




In a 9" cake pan, mix 1/2 cup whipping cream and 1/2 cup of brown sugar.  Stir it until they are well combined and not separating anymore.  Sprinkle it with your desired amount of chopped pecans (I used about 1/3 cup). 





Roll out your dough making sure it's wide enough to be rolled into a nicely filled log.  Next, in good Pioneer Woman style, slather it with some melted butter.  Now you're ready to start adding all the good stuff!  

In a small bows, mix 2 Tbs. of Sugar and 1 tsp. of cinnamon (or more, depending on your taste).



Sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture evenly over the rolled out dough and then sprinkle with some extra pecans. I also took some brown sugar and sprinkled it over the top of the pecans, hoping to add a bit more runny goodness to come oozing out of the pecan roll after it baked. 




Now you're ready to roll 'er up!  Try to keep it tight and even as you roll the dough across the length of the log.  Seal the edge with your fingers when you finish rolling.  Gotta try to keep that ooey-gooey-goodness on the inside!


Start slicing the log into even pieces and lay them on top of the whipping cream/brown sugar mixture in the cake pan.  






I didn't raise my rolls, instead I wanted to keep them smaller.  If you do want to rise them at this point, set them in a warm oven or some other method of rising until they're the desired size. 


8:30 AM
Ready to go into the oven.


I wish I could send the smells to you through cyber-space.  Ohhhhh my goodness.   I haven’t smelled anything so  heavenly cooking in my house in… well, maybe in forever.  While these little yummies are cooking, I brew a pot of coffee to try and ward off the winter chill.  With the level of sweetness that will be coming out of the oven, I definitely think we'll be needing something to balance it out.  Ahh, and I have a bit of spare whipping cream leftover from the recipe to add to my coffee.  A definite treat!  





9:00 AM
The rolls came out of the oven bringing their sweet bakery scent with them.  I was dying to take a bite of this breakfast delight!  My recipe said to flip the pan upside down in order to let the caramel topping drizzle down onto the rolls, allowing every drop of the sweet-goodness to cover the gooey rolls.  








For the rolls to sit on, I pulled out a lovely white platter that my brother and sister-in-law gave us as part of our wedding gift.  You can't see it in the picture, but the platter has paisley prints etched into the porcelain.  So lovely!  I could see the pecans inching their way out from underneath the pan as the topping drained onto the rolls.



9:05 AM
Here they are! 



Coffee.

Goodies.

Hello Saturday.  
It's lovely when you come for a visit.




7 comments:

Melanie said...

Yum!!! Now I want to make some of those!!

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

My stars! Those looks, and sound a little bit heavenly. I can just smell them all the way over here... ;-)

Unknown said...

Sounds like the perfect Saturday morning with the snow :)

Elizabeth said...

That looks AMAZING!!!!! :-) Stop on over at my blog! I have started a book club!

Springblom said...

These do look so good! I'm inspired to make some rolls...except I don't have the nuts. I wonder if it would be terrible to leave them out. :)

LeAnna said...

These need me. Pronto.

Anonymous said...

Oh delish!!!!