Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Foodie Alert

My husband lovingly calls me a “foodie.”

He is so right.

A few years ago I never would have guessed that I would fall into that category, but considering the fact I was raised by a foodie, I shouldn’t be surprised.

food•ie [foo-dee]
–noun Slang
a person keenly interested in food, especially in eating or cooking.

Yep, that’s me.

This week I have been re-watching “Julie and Julia” which is an incredibly fun and well done movie (especially for those of us who used to watch Julia Child on TV). That movie always makes me want to run into the kitchen and create some form of dining pleasure, amazing enough to tempt even the pickiest of palates. True cooking is an art, as well as an escape for those who love it. I admit though, most nights when I’m headed home from work and scrambling to come up with something for dinner it doesn’t feel like an escape! And often what ends up on the table doesn’t look like my cooking was an art.
Then my husband and I sit down at the table, the work day behind us, and we bite into something that I prepared, something lush and better than restaurant-quality, and I remember that cooking is indeed a beautiful piece of creativity and art, and I sigh me a happy sigh and revel in the reminder of why I love to cook.

I will say though, that often the greatest cooking pleasure comes when I don’t have to cook, but when I simply want to. Freedom of expression in the kitchen is so exciting, as you throw a pinch of this and a dash of that into a dish, and voilà, out comes a masterpiece!

Any recipes I make have been tweaked – nothing remains as it was first written on the page. How boring would that be! Subtle creative urges take over when I begin to cook and my ideas always seem to make more sense than what somebody else constructed when they published the recipe. I love being able to take any recipe and adapt it to how we would like it, which also makes cooking very personal.

I also love photographing food, something I have been laughed at many times for doing. But food makes such great subjects! It stays as I placed it, doesn’t talk back, and offers varying delightful ambiances depending on the composition. Such fun! Besides, I love being able to chronicle my kitchen successes and failures with visual aids.

I loved this post because decorating a wall with my food photographs is definitely something I would be tempted to do! Isn’t it so inviting? It would make me feel like I was eating in a café every time I sat down at my kitchen table. Besides, it’s really nice to know I’m not the only one who takes pictures of everything I eat or make!

This weekend hubby & I strolled through the local Farmers Market and admired the rows zucchini, blueberries, and fresh baked bread. We didn’t think the selection was great, but it is always fun to browse those kinds of places just the same. I came home with a jar of raw honey and a desire to cook with more varieties of vegetables. I love the challenge of taking vegetables and actually making the good and desirable to eat! Green beans, asparagus, corn and sweet potatoes are about the only veggie staples in our house, but I’m working on adding other ones in. Spinach in our smoothies, pureed squash, carrots, or squash are great in soup, but broccoli is one vegetable that I can’t camouflage enough to make it go unrecognized.
Any suggestions?

All that being said, I suppose I should plan out our menu for the rest of the week!

Bon appétit!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I still really need to watch Julie and Julia. I have seen bits of it. I'd say I am a foodie with the foods I love :) You sounds like an awesome cook!

Tori said...

Yum Anne! You're making me hungry! I can't wait until I ave enough staples stocked up that I can experiment with more than the basics of a new pantry. =)

Jessica said...

Julie and Julia is one of my favorite movies! I always want to cook after watching it, too. I'm jealous that you are able to tweak recipes and improvise. I have never been good at that!