Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Coffee Tirade

For me, going to a coffee shop is supposed to be somewhat of an ‘experience.’ Sure, I go because I genuinely love coffee, but it’s more than that. It’s the soothing aroma of unique blends, the variety of tantalizing flavors and the quick-wit of perky baristas who like nothing more than handing their customers a pick-me-up-in-a-cup which occurs with the first sip of their java delight. Today was cold, dreary, rainy, and my mood (unfortunately) had many similarities. Ah, a stop at my favorite coffee shop seemed like the perfect addition to my otherwise dreary and mundane afternoon. I pulled into the parking lot, already imagining the smells, smiles, and overall coziness that always await me just through the door. Over the past three years I have spent countless hours in that coffee shop. Business meetings, chats with friends, mother/daughter talks, even quiet dates with my husband. It has ambiance, and that is the number one reason I go to a coffee shop. As I pushed open the door of this coffee haven, I was met with an ambiance I had never experienced there before. No perky “hello” welcomed me from behind the counter, the baristas were more concerned with chatting amongst themselves than with their customers, no smiling faces anywhere. Was I in the right place? The rowdy group ahead of me in line, although giving me time to make my drink selection, made it loud and distracting, a far cry from the usual calm that invaded the store on most occasions. I finally had a chance to order, and when I went to pay I handed over my $1-off coupon, which indeed had expired two weeks ago. I looked at the barista and said “You’re still taking these, right?” [the background on the fact I was giving them an expired coupon is that in the past, the employees & managers there have encouraged this, not caring if they were expired or not, because at least people were in there buying coffee. Because seriously, a mere dollar off a $5 beverage is hardly to be considered a bargain. In the past, I even had a manager there tell me to print off several coupons and keep them in my wallet to use them whenever I came in because management never cared if they were expired or not. ] To which the barista replied (let’s not forget the evil-eye that accompanied these words), “Well, I’ll make an exception this time but never do it again. We’re NOT supposed to take them.” I went on to ask if something had changed because it had always been encouraged in the past. To which the snooty reply came “Yes, but we’re getting much meaner about it now.” I’ll say you are. But at least today I got my $1 off, so there was nothing else to be said. Or was there? I laid my frequency card on the counter and pulled out some cash. She just stared at the card and rolled her eyes as she said “We don’t take those now if we use a coupon.” Wait a minute, it’s a “frequency” card -- ten drinks (“stamps”) and you get one free. But now if you use a coupon for your purchase it doesn’t count towards one of your ten drinks, even though I’m still frequenting their shop. She babbled something about the fact they used to be paper cards that got stamped by hand, but now they’re electronic ones that get swiped, and the machine won’t let them swipe it once a coupon has been entered into the system. Ok, so it’s a glitch in the computer system, not just a problem with the barista. But seriously, since I only buy coffee there if I have a coupon, that means I’ll never get my card swiped, meaning I’ll never reach my ten drinks, which means I’ll never get a free one. Policies change, I understand that. Companies hire new employees who perhaps have a less-than-pleasant-personality, I understand that too. But really, that was the worst experience I’ve had in my 3+ years of dedicated Biggby coffee drinking. I have always preferred their drinks over Starbucks, they offer coupons which make drinking specialty drinks slightly more affordable, and they’ve always been staffed with perky personalities who exude customers-first attitudes. Instead of the warm, friendly, sunshiny ambiance I was looking forward to on this dreary day, I ended up with lots of attitude, annoyed looks, an expensive cup of coffee, and no swipe on my frequency card. Did I mention that when she was almost finished making my drink, I said a simple “No whip, please”, to which her response was slopping a little extra milk in my cup to make it look fuller before sliding it across the counter. Today, I am sad to say, I took my coffee to go.

4 comments:

Meg said...

ah, I hate when stuff like that happens. :P boo for grumpy employees.

Tori said...

Which one was it, Anne?

Dan McNally (HPA pirate king) works at the one up by meijers and they were really friendly last time I was there...and I seem to remember using the frequency card with a coupon but I'm not 100% sure on that.

love and miss you!!

The Butz Clan said...

Anne,

Good Afternoon. My name is Tom Butz and I am VP of Operations for BIGGBY COFFEE.

First of all, I apologize for your visit today, it would never be our intention to leave you feeling the way you did!

I would love an oppurtunity to speak with you about this situation. My cell number is 517-927-0196 or you can contact me via email at tbutz@biggby.com

Brittney said...

Aw :( DEVASTATING!