Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

{Birthday Tribute}


I miss my grandmother.  My Nan.  
 
She passed away eight years ago this fall, but today would have been her 97th birthday.
 
Time has not closed the hole in my heart, left from the place she held. 
 
 I catch myself making silent tributes as I go about daily life. 
 
My little sister wears an outfit of purple, and I think about how much Nan would have loved it.   She wore purple whenever she had the opportunity.
 
I shop for flowers at the greenhouse and find myself gravitating to all the ones she used to plant on her back patio.  My garden is now filled with all her favorites.  
 
Lunchtime outside on the picnic table and I smile when I realize how much I love watching the squirrels playing in the yard or running across the top of the fence.  Nan always told stories about the squirrels on her patio and how she tried to tame them, or she would sit in a chair by our back window while I was growing up, watching for them to scurry by.
 
My love for musicals and all things Fred Astaire, Frank Sinatra, and Gene Kelly are because of her.  My love for black & white TV shows, Barney Fife, great dance scenes, and music from the roaring 20's can all be blamed on her. 
 
She continues to infiltrate my life.  My childhood memories are all filled with her, family vacations, holidays, play time, birthdays, and I find myself wishing often that she was still here, continuing to create memories with me.  
 
There are physical characteristics that I also have of hers.... although I usually complain about them... big knees, short waistedness.... but deep down I'm glad there is a part of me that is like her, other than my love for french fries and cute shoes.
 
I was blessed to have her in my life for as long as I did, but I don't think I'll ever stop missing her. 
 
 

No comments: