Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Calming the Storm

Some days I am overwhelmed with thankfulness.

Not necessarily for any particular reason but simply…because.

Today is one of those days.

The odd thing is, my life has had a few potholes in it this week, but somehow today that doesn’t seem to matter. Last night I was stressing out about them, but here in this moment I’m at peace.

The past several days I have read many stories (blogs) about couples who’s marriages have survived against the odds and about families who have faced immense personal tragedy, yet in the midst of it all they have stayed faithful.  Faithful to the ONE who can work it all out and who gives us the strength to make it through the worst of storms.  Ahhh yes, the One who spoke to the storm and calmed the rough waters. 

Through my teen years, there were some lyrics to one of my favorite Christian songs that said: “Sometimes He calms the storm, and other times He calms His child.”

Isn’t that just how it is?  In the midst of our life’s chaos, He can reach into our lives and place a peace in our hearts that is unlike anything else.  When the war rages on, it is an incredible feeling to be completely secure and at peace in the knowledge of His presence in our lives. 

To borrow a quote from Jo March in “Little Women”, I am hopelessly flawed.  And I always will be this side of Heaven.   But how I thank God that the process of sanctification continues on, day by day, inching me closer to the day when my heart is made new and the old things have passed away. 

I am a work in progress and how I thank God He hasn’t (and never will!) give up on me. Today, I think that is the biggest thing I’m thankful for.

On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand. . .

5 comments:

Callie said...

Beautiful post, Anne!

LeAnna said...

Amen, sister. This sums up my entire year!

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

Lovely post. Truly was refreshing to me at this very moment in my life.

I loved that song too, wasn't it sung by Scott Kirkpatrick?

Hope you have a lovely day.

Anonymous said...

Love this post. I am new to your blog but I will certainly be back. Little Women was my favorite book growing up.

Unknown said...

Lovely post. I hope you continue to feel at peace even when things seem a little crazy!