Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Saying It at Work

Sometimes the work environment frustrates me because I don’t feel like I’m able to be my genuine self. I’m not free to be “me” in a place where you are constantly working to keep everybody happy, fight every fire that arises, take no personal interest, and provide the answers to everybody’s questions.

But that’s what the working-world is, and I understand that.

People don’t know who I am behind the high-heels and pencil skirts. And usually, that’s okay. But sometimes…it’s not.

There are times when a person will come to my desk and unload some emotional trauma they're dealing with (painful event, ruined marriage, etc). In those moments, I put aside the work façade that we all use and simply be myself. When they’re willing to trust me enough to put themselves out there, I at least want to meet them half way. If God is opening a door for me to be a part of their life, if only for a few minutes, then I need to forget the high-heeled persona and just be myself.  The person they would see if they were at my house and we were sharing a cup of hot tea, all comfy in our lounge pants with Norah Jones playing in the backgound. 

“I understand what you’re going through; I’ve been there too. God is the only way to solve your problems, but sometimes we have to learn that lesson the hard way. I know that you’re hurting but I’ll be praying for you. ”

Yeah, that’s real office-appropriate.
*ahem*

I don’t care.

God made me with this love for people and a passion to share HIM with them.
So on most days from 8-5, I might appear a little bit stiff with my heels and French twist, but when God opens a door, well then, I just have to walk on through it. Following Him is way more important to me than caring what the employee down the hall might think about me vocalizing my Faith.


Do you get to talk about your Faith at work?


4 comments:

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

I try to share my faith as much as possible. And amen...following Him is so much more important. :)

Anonymous said...

Why did Jesus give Kelly Johnson GIANT HORSE TEETH? It's not fair1 WHY?!

Unknown said...

I'm lucky I work in a very open environment and the team I work in are small and close. I think that helps.

Callie said...

Good for you for not being afraid to say something to your coworker's who are hurting. I sometimes get to say something at work, but usually to patients. It's harder for me to speak up to my coworkers - I'm trying to work on that, but it can be hard sometimes.