Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Cooking

Okay, I admit it. I’ve fallen in love… with. . . . Cooking. Never thought that would happen. The unfortunate part is that I spend 40 hours at work each week. Meaning, that by the time I get home at night, there is a severe damper on my culinary creativity because I usually just want to relax. However, I have found so much pleasure in my newly discovered love for this art that I make time to be in the kitchen, either in the morning before work or sometimes working until nearly bedtime. My food is not gourmet, mind you, but it is yummy and satisfying. Oh, and it’s usually healthy, except when I have moments of weakness and pull out cream cheese, ranch dressing, or other tempting ingredients like that. I make to-die-for green beans, 101 different chicken dishes, great fruit smoothies, tempting desserts, and admittedly add pecans to any recipe where I can get away with it. There are few things that are "signature" dishes for me, simply because I like to try a little bit of everything. Every once in awhile there is a meal that ends up being a total bomb (like my oozy strawberry pancakes, which my darling husband graciously tried to eat so as not to hurt my feelings...) but for the most part I've learned to make things work, even if they don't end up quite like the recipe intended. Recently I have discovered that I cook by Smell, not by Taste (like normal people do). I will prepare an entire meal (never sticking completely to the recipe, of course!), and season it by smell. I never realized this until I would place dinner on the table and say to my husband, “Well, I hope it’s good.” He always looked at me with a quizzical expression and say “You didn’t try it? How did you season it?” Busted. It wasn’t until that conversation was repeated several nights in a row that I realized I seasoned by how something smelled. If it smelled like it needed a bit more basil or garlic, then I would add more until the aroma seemed right. This unconventional method isn’t failed me yet, but on the day it does, I’m sure it’ll be a memorable disaster. Creating mouth-watering-goodness takes work and preparation; culinary masterpieces don’t happen by random chance. But with the right recipes, a dash of sugar and a pinch of salt, you can temp the palate of even the finickiest of eaters. What are some of your signature dishes?

3 comments:

Meg said...

well, I am definitely a taster! ;) A few things I make repeatedly are chicken spaghetti & mexican chicken. I cook a lot with chicken :) and my hubby loves my spaghetti so that seems to make it's way onto our table quite often as of late. Mmm...all this food talk is making me hungry!

btw, there's an award for you over at my blog. :)

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

My baked spaghetti and Alfredo are always big hits. And my Grandma's Double Chocolate Cake recipe that's been handed down from family member to family member.

That picture of waffles looks amazing!

Springblom said...

This was fun to read!

Being a vegan (who does eat honey- I don't what they call that), it has become one of my favorite challenges to take other dishes and turn them into something that we can eat. There are times when disaster strikes, but most of the time, it turns out pretty good. I think it is a creative outlet that I especially love because I can see the results and because I love the smile on my man's face. Nothing better than to know that I made something that he really likes!

I think I cook with smell to a great extent too. I taste sometimes, but most of the time I just add until it seems right. But when it comes to cookie dough... smell or not, it's hard not to take a bite or two. ;)