It’s easy to get caught up in the world’s ways of wishing time away because things aren’t exactly how we might want them to be, or because life gets harder than we anticipated. I get caught in that trap sometimes.
All those who are guilty say “aye.”
Aye.
One thing God is teaching me lately is to cherish today. A wise friend reminded me recently of the joy a 2 year old has in how they approach a new day. They aren’t worried and burdened-down about crabby bosses, bills to pay, or what to make for dinner. They wake up in the morning and are (usually) eager to face the day and see what it will bring.
With that little scenario in mind, I’ve been trying to start my days on a slightly more optimistic note. Perhaps starting by thanking God for a new day to be alive; another day to do His bidding; another day to be a wife, a daughter, a sister, a friend. Learning to enjoy today for what it is and not freak out about having to go to work, or if the house is messy when I get home.
I love my life, my family, my marriage, our little home, but sometimes I simply need to stop and dwell on how tremendous blessed we really are! It’s easy for other people’s negativity to rub off and to start thinking about everything we don’t have instead of everything we do have.
So what if I can’t run to the mall on a shopping trip whenever the whim strikes me?
Big deal that we can’t go out to eat very often or that we have to save up in order to have car repairs done.
Does it really matter that there is only one sink in our bathroom and we have to take turns using the mirror?
We have been blessed with full-time jobs, good health insurance, reliable vehicles, a warm cozy home, families that love us, friends that support us, and a marriage that we think is the best-thing-ever.
We’re not promised tomorrow; all we have is right here and right now. Several weeks ago I posted about the car crash that Mike & I helped out at. That whole experience is with me wherever I go, follows me every day as I leave the house, drive to work, or kiss my husband good-bye. Our lives can change in an instant, and if this is my last moment, I don’t want to have spent it wishing it all away.
My advice to you?
Kiss your spouse a little longer.
Hug your loved-ones a little tighter.
Laugh a little louder.
Smile a little bigger.
Maybe even dance in the rain once in awhile.
Count your blessings, because no matter what is going on in your life, we can always find lots of things to be thankful for. We have been blessed beyond measure, and now I'm just trying to live every day remembering that.
Every good and perfect gift is from above,
coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights,
who does not change like shifting shadows.
coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights,
who does not change like shifting shadows.
- James 1:17
Happy Thanksgiving, dear ones! Hope it is a beautifully blessed day for you all!



3 comments:
I enjoyed this post! Have a lovely thanksgiving weekend :)
What a GREAT post! Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you had a wonderful time with family and friends! :-)
Love your advice! Hope you had a great thanksgiving. :)
Post a Comment