Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Precious Sleep, Where Art Thou?

Last night I woke up at 2 AM and was completely unable to go back to sleep. A superfluous amount of topics were flying through my brain and I was helpless to quiet them. Ideas for blog posts, random song lyrics, projects to complete, interesting words (like superfluous), books I need to finish, menu plans, the laundry I need to catch up on, birthday gifts to buy, errands to run, the exercise I have been neglecting, the list went on and on. And it wasn’t like I was trying to think about stuff…it was just a jumble of useless information that had overtaken my brain and was depriving me of my very precious sleep.

In the midst of all this nonsense, I was also bothered by the fact I wasn’t able to sleep and began to worry that the cycle of insomnia from the previous winter-summer was going to plague me again. Which I’m sure did even more to prevent my slumber.

What happened to the little girl that use to sleep through thunder storms and didn’t even stir when being carried into the basement during tornado warnings in the middle of the night? I’m afraid she’s long gone, and in her place is a young woman craving a solid eight hours of sleep without dreams, thrashing about, or alertness or any sort.

There is next-to-no caffeine in my diet, and I know that I need to “unwind” before I’m able to sleep, so over the past year I’ve tried: medications, teas, TV, music, reading, praying, doctor visits, sleep study…

…and I’m running out of ideas.

What else is there?

By morning I am completely exhausted and can barely drag myself out of bed.  It just seems so messed up to me.
Any suggestions on how to get a better night’s sleep?

5 comments:

Meg said...

I've always had trouble sleeping. It was really bad when I was planning the wedding and really stressed... I eventually took medication for it. It helped some nights, some nights it didn't make me a bit sleepy.

I have gotten better since we married and that stress is gone, but there are still nights I lie there for hours before I fall into a fitful sleep.

I hope you find something that will help you! {hugs}

Jessica said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you are having trouble sleeping :-( I am the opposite of you...I used to have trouble sleeping when I was younger. But now the problem has seemed to completely reverse itself and I have trouble staying awake. Anyway, the thing that seemed to really prevent me from sleeping more than anything when I was little, was being too hot. I always like the temperature in my bedroom to be somewhat low so I can cuddle up under tons of comfy blankets. If I'm too warm, though, I can forget about sleeping. Is the temperature in your bedroom comfortable for you? I hope you figure out a solution soon. I know how miserable it can be to stay awake hour after hour as the morning approaches in sheer frustration of the fact that your body just isn't letting you doze off :-/

Elizabeth said...

Oh you poor thing...I hate not being able to sleep...its the worst feeling ever!!! I have been able to sleep REALLY well lately..but I used to buy this tea, nigh time tea that helps!! :-)

Lindsey said...

I'm sorry friend, that is the worst!

Callie said...

Gracious, the same thing happened to me last night! I usually don't have that problem. My hubby was sweet enough to rub my back, and that relaxed me enough to fall asleep, finally . . .