Menu Plan Monday! ...errr Tuesday :)
- Monday: Baked Asian Chicken, Brown Rice & Zucchini casserole, homemade applesauce
- Tuesday: Taco Salad
- Wednesday: Chicken Parmesan, sautéed Asparagus
- Thursday: Veggie Lasagna (if I’m feeing ambitious)
- Friday: My hubby usually surprises me with bringing home pizza or some other such yumminess because he knows how much I don’t feel like cooking by the time I get home from work on Friday night!
- Saturday & Sunday: To be determined
My dearly-beloved & I are trying hard to eat healthier and be more aware of what goes into our mouths (…and stomachs). Portion control, better ingredients, lots of fruits & veggies, plenty of water, and exercise (when we can squeeze it in) all play a roll. But let me tell ya, it’s a lot of work! Making stuff from scratch instead of just pulling out Cream-of-Mushroom soup to dump over some chicken, or a container of Cool Whip for a dessert takes time, planning, and energy. But it’s SO worth it because we end up feeling better, have more energy, plus the satisfaction of knowing what actually went into our system was good for us.
In addition to the above menu, I’ve been experimenting with healthy energy smoothies, easy-but-healthy breakfast foods (muffins, bars) to grab while we’re running out the door for work in the morning, and trying to make sure there are healthy alternatives to chocolate & chips in the house! So far so good. This has whole endeavor has been a work-in-progress for me over the past year but every once in awhile I get reenergized with inspiration and I set to work on it full-force again.
What really surprises me is how good you can make healthy stuff taste! The Rice & Bean casserole I made last night was delicious and completely healthy! It had carrots, zucchini, beans, rice, and seasonings, and although it looked healthy, it was amazingly good! “Healthy” food has been stereotyped as being boring and either flavorless or icky. This doesn’t have to be the case! Don’t get me wrong, I love Ranch dressing, sour cream, cream cheese, brownies, ice cream and Doritos as much as the next person (maybe more so…LOL), but there are things that are more important and that I love more than those things. Like taking care of my husband, giving him the best start to his day that I can, and helping us both look better, feel better, and trying to care for what God has entrusted to us – each other.
That does not mean that I never eat those foods I enjoy – quite the opposite actually. Did you see the Friday menu…that it often includes pizza? Yeah, I adore pizza, but I try to only have two slices. I might enjoy a brownie or cookie out, but I rarely make them myself so there isn’t a whole pan sitting around. Portion control is a big part and learning not to be controlled by the food.
I am a work-in-progress, ever pressing forward on this road of life, striving each day to do it a little better, make improvements in the areas I fail, and trusting God for the strength in all things, for I can do nothing on my own.
What do you do to avoid the temptation of “favorite” foods that you know you’ll end up eating more of than you should?
3 comments:
Thanks for taking the time to post this. I hope you will join me at Dining With Debbie for Crock Pot Wednesday. Mister Linky is up and ready for you to enter. I'm not always successful at avoiding those favorites. When I succumb, I just pick myself up and keep going. Hope you will, too.
I love smoothies for breakfast. What kind of energy bar have you tried?
I have a weakness for chocolate - I should be like you and just not make anything with chocolate in it, but it's SO hard!
I just found your blog, and I've been enjoying reading it! I'm a young-married and Christian too. I was just reading your post on red things, and I completely agree - red is a fun color - I recently discovered this!
Stop by my blog sometime if you want to!
Post a Comment